Tuesday, November 24, 2009

IT"S A RAPTOR THANKSGIVING, CHARLIE BROWN!

We all have our little traditions on holidays. Me, I love to get naked and loaded up on spearmint scope every Arbor Day, but I digress. Anywho, we here at your favorite dinosaur themed film blog decided to get into the Thanksgiving spirit and talk about the movies we love to watch this time of year. So enjoy, and then get the hell off of our land! Don't you infringe on our Manifest Destiny or we will genocide you! Right in the face! Ahem...sorry...

Jackson Bishop

It's a little sappy and obvious, but my absolute favorite movie to watch over Thanksgiving is E.T. The Extra Terrestrial. The story of a young boy and a lost alien that form a strong bond is timeless and cemented for good Steven Spielberg's rep as a sentimental filmmaker as well as an awesome one. Everything about it just makes me feel warm and fuzzy as I sit there after over-eating like Wilson Fisk at a buffet. It used to be on tv every Thanksgiving, and I would watch it with my dad every year after coming back from dinner at my aunt's house, so I just identify it with the holiday now. Long story short, any movie in which a rubber puppet that looks alot like poop can make you cry by saying a boy's name, that's some good stuff.

Nicola Balkind

The Addam's Family Values. Okay, so I'm not an American. Or even Canadian. So perhaps I've vastly misjudged the wonder of Thanksgiving. I don't strictly celebrate it either; but being an unemployed graduate, enjoying the "holiday" is all the same, right?! Thanksgiving is even seeping into UK culture… unfortunately it's not all turkeys and stuffing, but more of a, "Maybe we, the whiningest country in the world, should give thanks for something once in awhile."So, America, I give thanks to you. Not for Thanksgiving, per se, but certainly for this belter of a movie. I am, of course, referring to the scene of the Camp Chippawa Thanksgiving play; wherein Pugsley sings and dances in a magnificent turkey outfit, and Wednesday's sardonic Pocahontas leads her tribe of loyal and wacky followers in a reverse-genocide. It's witty, it's hilarious, and it is stuffed with intentionally terrible and overindulgent sentiment.It also contains the infamous line, which I think sums up every Thanksgiving:"I am a turkey. Kill me!"
Happy turkey day, all!

Steven Ray Morris

Jurassic Park
Nothing makes me more thankful knowing that dinosaurs could and should exist. And of course for the classic line, "That doesn't very scary, it looks more like a six-foot turkey." Indeed.

Evan Koehne

1. "Thanksgiving" Trailer
2. "Smoke Signals"
3. "The New World"
4. "Sleepy Hollow"
5. "The Village"

Arlin Golden

Every year for thanksgiving my friends from high school and I eat an unhealthy amount of fried chicken and watch a basketball movie. Freshman year was Hoop Dreams (considered by most cinephiles to be the greatest film ever made) then came Space Jam, which held up far better than anyone expected, largely due to the supporting cast like Bill Murray, Charles Barkley and Mugsey Bogues. Last year we watched White Men Can't Jump and reveled in the Rosie Perez-ness of it all. This year, possibly being the last of this tradition as I know it, we plan to watch an Italian film called "The Minis" which is about a team of little people who recruit Dennis Rodman to be their center. Gotta say, I don't see how this can't be one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment