Friday, December 25, 2009

Trailer Comment Weekly, Iron Man 2 and Robin Hood

Merry Christmas Everyone! We present two trailers and subsequent comments for two event films coming out next year!

Enjoy!



Jackson Bishop:

Seriously...how badass does this look? I'm sorry, I'm not going to be able to be witty or snarky on this one. Favreau and Downey Jr. managed with the first Iron Man flick to both capture the character of Tony Stark perfectly, and also created a viable world for the character to live in. Judging by this trailer, the sequel looks to take everything that worked with the first film and make it even better. Can't wait.

Catie Moyer:

I have an Ironman II bias because it comes out on my birthday, so all I will say is that: the trailer makes me believe that this will not disappoint. Between War Machine and Scarlett Johansen, I'll already goosebumpy. And what a great line: "I have successfully privatized world peace." hahahaha.

Evan Koehne:

Looks sweet. Can't wait to see more metal frames flying through the air to metal music.

Steven Ray Morris:

My thoughts on the Iron Man 2 trailer are a bit reserved and after watching it again I know it'll be good times with such an incredible cast, but the trailer wasn't nearly as exciting as I wanted it to be. Maybe seeing it on the big screen will be better.

Dax Schaffer:

As far as trailers go, this felt kind of underwhelming and…oddly paced. That’s a critique of the trailer though, not what I expect from the movie. I really enjoyed the original Iron Man, but there was always that nagging trace of white supremacy and racism that kind of bothered me. Can we please drop the bad guy with a heavy accent thing? I don’t see this as helping the film out very much. What I do think of as somewhat interesting, is how they are going to handle the fact that everybody knows who Iron Man actually is, which isn’t often dealt with in super hero stories. Iron Man falls behind Dark Knight in my list of amazing super hero movies, so I hope that it turns out at least as well as the first one. I’m sure it’ll look amazing none the less.

Kira Martins:

Iron Man 2 looks like its going to be packed full of action and I looove action! It also seems to be pushing the free-market-is-good-and-capitalism-is-kick-ass-awesome note too and I love that as well, especially since the villain seems to represent the whole 'you have to give back to the little people even if you don't want to' idea and because this is a super hero movie Iron Man is gonna crush the guy...so YAY for social commentary disguised as an action packed fun film, this is what cinema does best, can't wait to see the film.

Omar Najam:

Wow, this looks really intense. It kinda looks like they're taking the romance and glamor out of being a hero and portraying him more as a renegade.



Iron Man 2 will be released May 7th, 2010.

Iron Man 2 on IMDB




Jackson Bishop:

It's Ridley Scott so we're obviously all going to go see it, but this looks like the Kevin Costner Robin Hood with more battle axes to me. Maybe battle axes will turn out to be thing that other movie was missing and this will be great...
Is it too much to ask for Scott to hurry up and make a new scifi film?

Catie Moyer:

Can I just do a brief chronology of notable Robin Hood films for a minute? 1922: Douglas Fairbanks is Robin Hood. 1973 Walt Disney's Robin Hood in which all the characters are lovable woodland creatures. 1991: Kevin Costner is Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. More notable, however, is Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham. Christian Slater and Morgan Freeman also helm that cast. 1993: Cary Elwes dons the tights in Mel Brooks' Robin Hood: Men in Tights.
So, here we have yet another. Ridley Scott is bound to offer a darker, less BBC friendly version of Locksley and OF COURSE he's got Russell Crowe, right? I mean, if it wasn't Crowe, it would be Gerard Butler because the two have become nearly interchangeable to me. As far as I'm concerned, unless you’re an animated lion, you just can't out-do Alan Rickman when it comes to the Sheriff, and here we have Matthew Macfadyen.
Frankly, I'm just kind of disappointed Scott has chosen to adapt Robin Hood at all. It's unoriginal, and everyone will not only be comparing it to the Robin Hood's before, but also to Gladiator which might as well be the same story only in the Roman Empire. Think about it, you'll realize I'm right.

Evan Koehne:

It's too bad they couldn't get Wes Anderson's foxes to play the parts. That would have been the extra historical accuracy this needed.

Steven Ray Morris:

May I ask an obvious question? Why do we need another Robin Hood? It looks a bit drab, but upon second viewing of this trailer I realize it has promise (Cate Blanchett). I think perhaps Scott needs a new muse. Even Tim Burton made a movie without Johnny Depp once.

Dax Schaffer:

Men in Tights kind of made it hard for me to take Robin Hood movies seriously ever again. Regardless, Ridley Scott’s name is here and as far as I’m concerned, that means “maybe.” I just find it hard to be excited about more proof that the movie industry is still running out of ideas. As far as being a good iteration of the story though, it probably will be… but it’s nothing that I haven’t already seen in about 5 other forms.

Kira Martins:

Could this trailer have been anymore VAGUE or is it simply assuming that we all know the story of Robin Hood and therefore already know what is going to happen in the film? if that's the case I'm already disappointed and if it isn't, this preview did nothing for me and I think I'll go re-read Stephen Lawhead's Trilogy entitled Hood, Scarlet and Tuck.

I will note that its interesting to be telling the tale of Robin Hood now with our present politics and economy since it's essentially the story of a government that took from the productive and gave to the unproductive and one man and his merry band of thieves who stole back what was taken and returned it the those who had earned it in the first place...sound familiar?

Omar Najam:

Wow, this looks really intense. It kinda looks like they're taking the romance and glamor out of being a hero and portraying him more as a renegade.



Robin Hood will be released May 14th, 2010.

Robin Hood on IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment